Monday 23 May 2011

Riding The D-Coaster.

Blood sugar levels over the past few days have been, being entirely honest, HORRIFIC!  I've been up and down, up and down, up and down more times than you've had hot dinners (slight exaggeration perhaps, but it's still been pretty darn bad!)

The most unbelievably annoying thing about the whole situation is that there really doesn't seem to be any reason to explain why my levels won't just balance themselves out!  It's at times like these that I imagine my blood sugar levels to be like a young, rebellious child; throwing tantrums and refusing to sit still for more than a minute or two.

However, all of these unpredictable highs and lows have really brought something to my attention...THE COLOUR OF MY BLOOD!  I know, sounds ridiculous right?  I can hear you all now:  'Daisy, did you not realise before this week that your blood was red, dear?  Oh you poor thing!'  But no, that was not what I was referring to, clever cloggs!  Instead, what I have really taken notice of over the past few days is the shade of red that my blood is depending on whether my levels are hi or low.

Although this is something that has been brought to my attention before, I did think it would make a good blog post.  I was wondering if anyone else had discovered this also with their own blood?  Even more interesting would be if anyone could actually give me a scientific reason as to why this happens?!  Really, I'm intrigued to know! 
 
This was my blood when I was hi (16.2 - oh my worddddd!)  I wanted to get a photo of my blood when low, but I'm afraid that I was far too busy scrambling around for glucose tabs and other sugary substances to shove into my mouth at quite a pace to concern myself with the whereabouts of my camera.  Perhaps another time.

Still...I think that blood looks bright red, don't you?  When I'm low it's a deep, dark red.  I really hope my eyes haven't been playing tricks on me, or even worse that I've just become completely delusional.  Please, ease my mind!

I hope you are well and that the D-Coaster is at a stand-still for you this week. x 

2 comments:

  1. I have never noticed my blood changing colors...I will make note now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been riding the Glucocoaster. Seems like hormones have a huge impact on my sugars. :/ I have noticed the consistency of my blood, not so much color. My high blood seems to be thicker, and my low blood seems thinner. Gonna watch the color too now. Hope your sugars get back in line. Good luck Daisy!!!!

    ReplyDelete