Tuesday 14 May 2013

D-Blog Week: Demanding Difference


I find that I sign quite a lot of petitions nowadays, simply because I think that if a policy needs to be altered then people should come together as a force for that change. With regards to writing a petition, there are quite a few things that I would like to change about diabetes in general;  the most obvious being the fact that I have it in the first place, but I get the feeling that my pancreas has made a firm decision on that one.

Sometimes it's the little things that make living with type 1 diabetes that tiny bit easier and, seeing as demanding my pancreas to reboot itself might be considered a little far fetched, I've decided to ask for change in the more subtle areas of D-Life...

Accu-Chek Aviva Nano;  I like you.  You look all cute with your fancy, pebble-shaped exterior and you're so small that I can fit you in my smallest handbag alongside all my other bits and bobs.  However, I would like you to change just one thing for me...will you please give me a little longer to get my blood on to the test strip before you go and error on me?!  Some days my fingers are actually tired of having your good old friend MultiClix stabbing the tips of them, and they need a couple of seconds more than what you seem to be willing to give.  When my doctor asks me how I'm getting through as many packs of test strips as I am and I reply 'because my monitor is impatient' he gives me strange look, but he doesn't understand your nature like I do. 

Fast acting hypo treatment;  I find you a little tiresome.  Dextrose tablets are the worst, especially the orange ones.  Trying to eat you during a hypo is like trying to feast on sand in the desert.  Glucotabs you're a little better, seeing as I don't have to consume as many of you to raise my blood sugar, but the truth is that I'd much rather be eating a bar of chocolate.  Lucozade reminds me of being unwell and fruit juice feels like a very unappetising option when all I want to do is binge on all the unhealthy, fatty foods that aren't going to help one bit.  I'd like you to change your taste and texture, become more exciting for the palate as well as continue to raise my blood sugars at a rapid pace.  I hope this isn't too much to ask.  P.S. Just as an afterthought, thanks for saving my life of numerous occasions - I owe ya' one!

2 comments:

  1. 100% with you on the test strip thing! I use the Aviva Expert, which I love due to the bolus advice feature, but it's so impatient!
    Great post, sugar!
    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, agree, agree. I find the Bayer Contour even worse and waste far too many strips using an unsupplying finger

    ReplyDelete