Tuesday 4 September 2012

#3: Good Morning Diabetes!


I can't even believe Blogger deleted my post yesterday!  But I'm soldiering on, so here it is again :)

My morning yesterday didn't get off to a great start.  I awoke at around 5.15 am, went to the bathroom, got back into bed and tried to go back to sleep.  It couldn't have been any more than 2 minutes before I realised I was feeling a bit odd.  I tested my blood and surprise, surprise - 3.4.  I didn't have any hypo treatment in my bedside drawers (always a big mistake) which meant I ventured, reluctantly and weary eyed, downstairs to get some.  I ate a chocolate 'Rocky' bar and went back to bed.  By the way I'm aware that my choice of hypo treatments needs some serious reconsideration, but when I'm faced with a chocolate bar or dextrose tablets, I know which one I prefer.  Definitely not the 'right' decision to make in terms of the welfare of my diabetes, but I know it's something I need to work on.

A few hours later I woke up feeling thirsty, agitated and like my head was about to explode.  I pricked my fingertip and apprehensively watched my meter counting down, expecting the worst...13.4.  This came as a surprise as, considering how rubbish I felt, I thought I would be much higher.  I suppose this is a good sign because it might mean that my body's getting used to my blood sugars being within a more 'normal' range, so it recognises it more when they're slightly out.

I didn't get overly nervous about the first day of my new job, which was a good thing seeing as I didn't start until 5.45pm!  I spent my first shift 'getting to know the ropes' a little.  My boss showed me around the head office (I took extra notice of where the toilets, food and drink areas and first aid room were located!) and explained to me more about what my role will entail.  I'm working as a Fundraising Representative for a global charity, so I was also given some more detailed information about the organisation which was really interesting.  I met some of my new colleagues too and they were lovely, which is always a good thing!

When we went over the health and safety regulations and I was asked if there was anything I wanted the rest of the team to be made aware of in terms of my diabetes.  I said I'd have a think about it and get back to them but I don't think there's much anyone else needs to know, mainly because I manage my diabetes myself.  Maybe I'll just mention the 'just in case of a real emergency' stuff.  Any advice?

Anyway considering the not-so-good start to the day, I ended it on a complete high (emotional, not diabetic!)  Now, I'm just hoping that this post saves!


No comments:

Post a Comment